Mission Hospice offers bereavement support for those who are grieving or facing the death of a loved one. We can help you:
- Learn about the grief process
- Express your feelings of grief
- Talk about loved ones who have died
- Sort through the stresses and anxieties that may come with new roles and responsibilities
- Discover how to use natural strengths to get through this difficult time
- Uncover the potential for growth and transformation following loss
Mission Hospice professionals host free grief support groups and workshops open to family members of Mission Hospice patients in California, and to all bereaved individuals living in Mission Hospice’s geographical service area (the San Francisco Peninsula and South Bay). Learn more here.
Our bereavement counselors have selected recordings of some of our programs you might find helpful if you are grieving; you can find those here. Even more recorded bereavement and community education events are on our YouTube channel.
Individual grief counseling
We offer individual grief counseling for Mission Hospice family members (adults and youth), by phone or video. $100 per session. Family members of our hospice clients receive eight sessions free. Our state license permits us to provide counseling only for family members living in California; we can provide referrals and resources for people who live outside of California. For more information, contact Christine Kovach at 650.532.2390 or by email.
Other bereavement support
- Free phone support, resources, and referral
- Mission Hospice booklet: Learning to Live with Grief and Loss
- Mission Hospice booklet: Grief in Children and Teens
- Free, online videos about grief education
- Lending library with a wide selection of books for adults and children in our San Mateo office
- Grief Kits for children
- Inservice training on coping with grief for facility staff
- Annual Day of Remembrance
To find out more about our grief counseling services, please contact us.
We are not a Crisis Center. If you are in crisis and require immediate assistance, call 911, go to your nearest emergency room, or contact your local psychiatric emergency services. Our grief support services are available during business hours only. Below are some crisis hotlines available to support you as well:
- San Mateo County (StarVista) Crisis Hotline: 650-579-0350
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255
- SAMHSA National Helpline: 800-662–HELP (4357) | 800-487-4889 (TDD)