Mission Hospice offers bereavement support for those who are grieving or facing the death of a loved one. We can help you:
- Learn about the grief process
- Express your feelings of grief
- Talk about loved ones who have died
- Sort through the stresses and anxieties that may come with new roles and responsibilities
- Discover how to use natural strengths to get through this difficult time
- Uncover the potential for growth and transformation following loss
Mission Hospice professionals host free grief support groups open to the community. In response to COVID-19, we have moved our bereavement support groups and workshops online, until further notice. Individual grief counseling support and select bereavement support groups are now available by phone and video for those in need; please check our online calendar or contact us at 650.554.1000 for more information.
- Tuesday evenings 6-7:30pm, led by Christine Kovach, LCSW
- Thursday afternoons 4-5:30pm, led by Isabel Stenzel, LCSW
- 1st & 3rd Saturday mornings 10-11:30am, led by Tracie Pyers, MSW
- 2nd & 4th Saturday mornings 10-11:30am, led by Tracie Pyers, MSW (focused on spouse/partner loss)
- Writing Through Loss Support Group (this group is being held virtually; please email facilitator Isabel Stenzel for more information; no experience necessary)
Wednesdays, May 20–July 8, 2020 • 6-7:30pm
- Suicide Loss Support Group
1st and 3rd Thursdays, 6-7:30pm (this group is being held virtually; please email facilitator Isabel Stenzel for more information)
First Wednesday of the month, January 8–June 3, 2020 • noon-1:30pm
This monthly book club offers discussion and support for those interested in reading about grief in different genres (fiction, essay, memoir, poetry, self-help), and the chance to explore how the readings support you in your own grief. For now, the book club will be held virtually; please contact Kate Nitze by email for more information.
First Thursday of the month, May 7–October 1, 2020 • 6-8pm
This five-month long, once-a-month expressive arts workshop offers adults and mature teens a creative outlet for expressing grief. The May session will be held virtually, with art that can be done “at home together.” We will continue monthly online until it is safe to meet in person; please contact Christine by email for more information.
Thursday, June 18, 2020 • 6-8pm
An overview of what to expect in the grief process, including tips for proactive coping. Please register at least 60 minutes in advance to receive the login info needed to join the workshop.
Sunday, June 7, 2020 • 2-3pm
All are welcome. Please register at least 60 minutes in advance to receive the login info needed to join the event.
Individual grief counseling
We offer individual grief counseling for adults and youth, in our San Mateo office or in your home. We also offer play therapy for grieving children. $100 per session. Family members of our hospice clients receive eight sessions free. Contact Isabel Stenzel at 650.931.8236 or by email.
Counseling for complicated grief
It is natural to feel intense grief when someone close dies, but for people with complicated grief more than a year after the loss, it is hard to focus on the present and future. People with complicated grief have things that get in the way of the natural process of adapting to a loss. They might struggle with troubling thoughts, excessive avoidance of reminders of the loss, and difficulty managing painful emotions.
Mission Hospice offers an evidence-based treatment for complicated grief. Dr. Katherine Shear, founder of the Center for Complicated Grief at Columbia University, has developed a 16-week intensive treatment proven to help adults suffering from complicated grief. Our bereavement counselors offer this structured grief therapy, using Dr. Shear’s model. $150 per session. Contact Isabel Stenzel at 650.931.8236 or by email.
Other bereavement support
- Free phone support, resources, and referral
- Lending library with a wide selection of books for adults and children in our San Mateo office
- Play therapy for grieving children
- Inservice training on coping with grief for facility staff
- Annual Day of Remembrance
To find out more about our grief counseling services for adults and children, please contact us.