Grief support groups and workshops
Mission Hospice professionals host free grief support groups open to family members of Mission Hospice patients, and to all bereaved individuals living in Mission Hospice’s geographical service area. To keep our community safe during COVID-19, we have moved our bereavement support groups and workshops online, until further notice.
- Tuesday evenings 6-7:30pm, led by Christine Kovach, LCSW & Jeff Hylton, LCSW
- Thursday afternoons 4-5:30pm, led by Isabel Stenzel, LCSW
- 1st, 3rd & 5th Saturday mornings 10-11:30am, led by Tracie Pyers, MSW
- 2nd & 4th Saturday mornings 10-11:30am, led by Tracie Pyers, MSW (focused on spouse/partner loss)
- Parent Loss Support Group (please email Christine Kovach for more information)
Wednesdays, March 17 – May 5 • 5:30-7pm
- Writing Through Loss Support Group (please email Isabel Stenzel for more information; no experience necessary)
Wednesdays, May 5 – June 23 • 6-7:30pm
- Suicide Loss Support Group (please email Isabel Stenzel for more information)
1st and 3rd Thursdays, 6-7:30pm
- Chinese language (Mandarin and Cantonese) support group (please email Janice Huang for more information)
Alternating Saturdays, Spring 2021 • 10am-noon
不露面哀傷支持小組，十月至二月，十次的網上會面。歡迎詢問與報名：黃潔雯 （628）800-4481 或 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grief and stuff
Monday, March 29 • 5:30-7:30pm
This workshop is designed for people who struggle with getting rid of their loved ones’ belongings. We will explore our emotional attachments to stuff and practical steps to letting go. Please register at least 60 minutes in advance to receive the login info needed to join the workshop.
- Grief book club
Second Wednesday of the month, January 13 – April 14 • noon-1:30pm
This monthly lunchtime group is for those who like to read and discuss how stories relate to their own grief experience. Please email Isabel Stenzel for more information.
- Transforming grief
Fridays, April 9 – May 28 • 11:30am-1:30pm
This weekly workshop offers an integrated somatic and creative approach for working with grief. Participants will learn techniques for calming the body, as well as the use of music, writing, and sharing activities to work through loss and move toward growth and reintegration. Please email Christine Kovach for more information.
- New to grief
Thursday, April 29 • 3-5pm
An overview of what to expect in the grief process, including tips for proactive coping. Please register at least 60 minutes in advance to receive the login info needed to join the workshop.
- Art for healing through grief
First Thursday of the month, May 6 – October 7 • 6-8pm
This monthly expressive arts workshop offers adults and mature teens a creative outlet for expressing grief. No art experience necessary; art materials will be provided by mail if needed. Please email Christine Kovach for more information.
- Resilience in grief
Tuesdays, June 15 – July 20 • 2-4pm
Grieving the loss of a loved one while simultaneously dealing with the pandemic is especially challenging. This weekly workshop will teach core skills for developing and strengthening resilience using lecture, handouts, exercises, and discussion in a supportive environment. Please email Isabel Stenzel for more information.